Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Choosing my own adventure ... almost

When I was a kid, I used to love the “Choose Your Own Adventure” books. My mom would read them to my brothers and me before bed, and we took turns “choosing.” If my brother chose poorly and died a gruesome death then it would be my turn to determine my fate through a series of 50/50 choices. The idea of being in control was, I think, very appealing to a kid who had little else to decide besides who to play with during the day and what game we should play (Ninja Turtles or school)?

However, as I grew and had to make decisions of more consequence, that series started to lose it’s appeal and I came to prefer a good old novel, which despite a few troubles along the way, generally ends in happiness for the main character. There lay the real appeal – knowing that after so many life-changing decisions things can turn all right, at least in fiction anyway.

I recently reached a four-way stop of sorts in my life. By returning from Jerusalem and graduating from BYU-Idaho, I had completed my five-year plan and had not yet planned beyond that. The obvious next step was to get a job, but even that presented me with many different options. Did I want to work at a newspaper or a magazine? Did I want to stay in Vancouver or try somewhere else in Canada, the US or Abu Dhabi (where they are apparently in need of journalists)?

And yet somewhere in the back of my mind, another option lingered – I could perhaps serve a mission. A mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints lasts 18 months for women, during which time I would be a full-time representative of the Church. Specific assignments – that is where in the world I would be asked to serve – are made by inspiration.

So I had to decide: missionary or career woman? I thought about it and prayed about it for a while and finally reached the conclusion that I was trying to choose between two good decisions and that I had to choose one and act on it. Unlike a “Choose Your Own Adventure” book, neither would lead to sudden death.

Finally, I have made a decision … come back next week to find out what it is! Just joking. I have chosen to serve a mission, but you really will have to come back later to find out where I’m going. My mission papers are currently in Salt Lake City for processing and when the assignment is made, I will receive a big white envelope in the mail telling me what that assignment is.

I feel very good about my latest “choice” and I am excited to find out where that choice will lead!

9 comments:

Miss Book Slut said...

COOL! Will you come teach me? hahahah
You will make an amazing missionary and I'm so happy for you.

Eleanor said...

I am so excited for you. I think you will be an amazing missionary, and you will not regret the decision. It is hard to serve, but oh so worth it! Oh, I am so excited!!!

John Gagnon said...

Congrats, Jade! I'm always a fan of putting off day-to-day life.

Gretchen Alice said...

Jade, congrats! I'm planning on turning mine in this fall.

Katie said...

That is very exciting. You are going to be a great missionary! Good Luck!

Meredith said...

Woo Hoo!! I'm so stinkin' excited for you! My mission was the best thing I could have done. You will be awesome. Let me know when you get that big white envelope!!! =D

Levi and Charity said...

Have I told you that I am SO EXCITED for you!!! And like everyone else...I have no doubt you'll be amazing! And, I know that you won't have a problem with any of your companions because you had the best training ever;)! (that was me in case you didn't know)

Cassott Kinghorn said...

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED THAT I CAN'T EVEN BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!! HORRAY TODAY! HORRAY HORRAY HORRAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! I heart you!!!!!

About Box Top Dad said...

I like your quote from Mark Twain. It's very true.