Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Snow Day

This morning we woke up to an almost white Jerusalem. It seems the weather report was accurate because the snow they predicted definitely came. Not that were was much snow – it was rather slushy actually – but it still snowed none the less. Yesterday we were warned that even the lightest snowfall shuts down the city because it is such a rare occurrence in Jerusalem, and they are unprepared for it. As a result we had a snow day today.

For all students (elementary through college) snow days are extremely exciting, exciting except when you live in the same building as your teachers of course. Luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you look at it) Arabic and our Palestinian studies classes were cancelled because those teachers couldn’t make it but our Old Testament and Ancient Near Eastern Studies classes were not.

Some people were very excited to see snow, but I could have done without it. It certainly is a novel experience to see snow in Israel, but it is cold and wet and as close to miserable as it can get in the Holy Land. Unfortunately we have to walk through outdoor corridors to get to our rooms and so I have to splash through puddles and get dripped on if I want to go back and forth. However, it gave me a good excuse to stay inside and catch up on things that need catching up such as my homework and my blog of course.

I did make it out beyond the walls of the Jerusalem Center yesterday though. In the morning I went with three other people to see some Bar Mitzvahs at the Western Wall, which we found out from our Hebrew teacher happen every Monday and Wednesday morning. We had to be back for class at 9:30 a.m. so we left early and got there just after 8 a.m. A Bar Mitzvah is a coming of age ceremony that indicates boys (or girls) are now responsible for their actions especially in regards to keeping the commandments.

At the wall, James was the only one who could go to where the Bar Mitzvahs were, however by going down to the women’s side of the wall and looking through the fence we could see most of what was going on. There were some boys, I assume they were 13, who were at a table tying on their tefillin and then they started praying or reading Torah with the Rabbis who were wearing prayer shawls. There was a woman next to me also trying to look through the fence and she said it was her son’s Bar Mitzvah. She was from Las Angeles and it sounded like they had traveled to Jerusalem with the Bar Mitzvah in mind, which I thought must have been quite special for the boy. We couldn’t stay for long because we had to get back for class but it was nice to witness and I always like visiting the Western Wall.


I woke up this morning to find Jerusalem snow outside on my patio.


I wasn't very happy about having to walk outside in the slush to get to class.


Prayers at the Western Wall.


A boy is getting ready for his Bar Mitzvah.

4 comments:

KRiSTiN said...

Howdy! I love your blog! In fact, I told my mom to read it and she LOVES it as well! Yes, Ian cut his hair...so great! And I will send you or post the pictures, once I get them from his mom! I miss you and our long talks as well, but blogs are great, aren't they! It feels like we kind of are talking...right?

KRiSTiN said...

Oh yes, one more thing...I know how you feel with the snow. In fact, be happy you don't live in Salt Lake this winter! It's been crazy how much snow we've had! It is sick!

Nancy said...

Wow--snow. I always wondered what that would do to the city. We were in Amman in the summer so it never snowed, but it is so dreadfully hilly and so many tires were so dreadfully threadbare.

I don't think it even rained once while we were in Jordan...maybe once.

Anyway :) I love reading about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jade. Are you taking Arabic studies or are you learning the Arabic language? We have our trip to Egypt just about all planned now! How many days did you stay in Luxor? Did you find it was long enough?
Can't wait till your next blog post! My mom is reading them too :-)