Sunday, July 6, 2008

Please Mr. Postman

Well, the big white envelope finally came, but not without teaching me a little patience. I had calculated approximately how long the mail would take from Salt Lake and I started checking on Monday. I wasn’t too put off when I found nothing there; after all I wasn’t sure exactly what day it had been sent. On Tuesday, I didn’t even bother checking since it was Canada Day and I knew the mailman (or woman) had the day off to engage in patriotic activities. I took Wednesday’s empty mailbox in stride, but by Thursday when there was no sign of the letter I looked for I started to feel, I admit, a little impatient.

In the end, Friday turned out to be a happy Fourth of July, though thoughts of American Independence never crossed my mind. The evening before my dad decided that my mom had better luck and so I should let her check the mailbox. Call it childish, but I wanted to be the one to collect the mail when my call came and so I refused. In the end, my mom secretly checked anyway and then came back to tell me (while jumping up and down) that I should probably check the mail. Whether or not my mom is really good luck, I can’t say, but my call was certainly there waiting for me.

The family quickly assembled (my dad came home from work especially) and I reached my moment of truth. I opened the envelope and found that I have been called to serve as a representative of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Utah Salt Lake City Temple Square Mission. Naturally, I will accept.

My assignment, although I had joked about it, was a little unexpected. I lived very close to Temple Square and worked in the Church Office Building in 2006 when I did my internship with the New Era, and so I am surprised to be going back. Surprised, but very excited. Salt Lake City is not an exotic land, but the Temple Square mission is unique in that I will be able to share my testimony of the gospel with visitors from all over the world, and I can’t wait. I’ve posted a link (below) to an Ensign article about the Temple Square mission that my friend Andy wrote in case any one is interested in reading it.

Finally, I’m sure that everyone is as excited that I will be able to use my hair straightener as I am. (See previous post)

"Tours and Testimonies" (July 2007 Ensign)


Could today be the day?!


Yes it could!


Oh the suspense ...


Too afraid to look!


"You are hereby called to the Salt Lake City Temple Square Mission ..."


Salt Lake Temple

13 comments:

Internet Guru said...

Hey there!First: I want to congratulate you for your blog!You did an amazing job!But it's important to keep up the good work and don't become lazy.You started a good project,continue it!
Second: My nick is "InternetGuru".Nice to meet you!
P.S: Please put my blog on your favorites: www.personalresource.blogspot.com

Sadie said...

Cool Jade! When did you decide to go one a mission?! I didn't know you were even considering it. At least I didn't have to wait through all the suspense I guess! Congratulations. I have a friend here at home that just got her call about a month ago to Temple Square, reporting Sept 3 to the MTC, so look out for a Sister Hollingsworth. Yay! I'm so excited for you.

Gretchen Alice said...

Oh, Jade, congrats! Does this mean I get to stalk you while I'm in Utah? I joke, I kid! When do you leave?

About Box Top Dad said...

Congrats, Jade!

Katie said...

That is so exciting! I'm so happy for you and what a more wonderful place than Utah (of course, I'm bias though). One of my old roomies is serving at Temple Square right now. I think you would like her if you met her. You're going to be an awesome missionary. Good luck with all the preparations.

Meredith said...

JADE... or should I say, Sister Swartzberg?? I am SOOO excited for you!! Congrats on the call! When do you leave?

Andersen Family said...

Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you. I really like you blog. it's very refreshing to once again read stories from the great Jade!

Cassott Kinghorn said...

HORRAY JADE!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited! You are going to be amazing! That is so crazy! How fun! horray horray horrayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! go Salt Lake!!!

Maggie said...

ahhh!!! Temple square missionaries are the COOLEST! I'm so glad our blogs found eachother.

KRiSTiN said...

YAY!!! I AM SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! That is so great! You will have a GREAT mission! Can't wait to see you!

Unknown said...

Hey Jade! Congrats on your mission call! I'm sure I'll see you a bunch down there on Temple Square. I have always thought that would be such a cool mission. I'm so excited for you!

Nancy said...

Hurrah, hurrah! I haven't checked your blog in so long! What good news! I'm so excited for you!

betsy said...

oh my jade you are so cute.